Turning yards into outdoor living rooms & outdoor kitchens
In Des Moines, we love to use every bit of the warm and cool seasons as we can! Just as the entrance to your house is designed to draw you in, your lawn and landscape should welcome you outside! With a little planning and creativity, your backyard can be the perfect “outdoor living room” for your family.
Whether you prefer casual cookouts or garden teas, family fun or a private retreat, any space can be transformed in to the perfect outdoor kitchen. Here are some ways to help your outdoor living space reach its full potential:
- Plan ahead. Consider how you want to use your property. Make a 5-year wish-list. If you really want a pool, leave space for it now.
- Consider the view looking out from your windows. This is an area many people forget, but that’s the one you’ll see most often.
- Plant now for privacy later. Landscaping elements make great screens for privacy and for noise reduction, but they do take time to grow. So, “planting ahead” is a good idea.
- Match the size of “outside rooms” to similar spaces indoors. For example, a patio might equate to a family room size, while a barbecue area might be the size of a kitchen-dining room combination. Making outdoor rooms too large takes away the feeling of intimacy.
- Continue colors, styles or even flooring from inside to outside, if possible, for a sense of connection.
- Think outside the (square) box. Remember, nature produces nothing in a straight line. Curves in walkways, pools and decks will look more natural than using all straight lines.
Whatever the age of your family, your home or your landscape, Des Moines’ Earthly Possibilities can help you create an extra room in your yard, right outside your window. Why not give us a call today to get started on your plan?